Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Democrats and Dieting

Since I rejoined political activism in 2004 inspired by the possible re-election of the Twig, I have met Democrats of all shapes and sizes. Although Democrats are wonderfully tolerant of all shapes and sizes, colors, genders and sexual preferences, I suspect the folks whose votes we need the most are not so forgiving of obesity.

Of course, my behind the scenes role doesn't demand a fit physique, so the issue is not a personal one. But many fit Dems don't give quite as much credibility to a fat consultant, although they might feel confident I am not likely to compete with them on election day. And wide girth is not a complete disqualifier for public office, just another hurdle that needs to be overcome to be taken seriously by the general electorate.

In any close election though, the fit person is the likely winner all other things being equal. So there is no good reason why any candidate shouldn't try to get into fighting shape to do well in the months before a grueling election for a national or statewide office.

That, of course, brings to mind Michigan's heavyweight Lt Governor John D. Cherry. All Dems I know feel very positive about him, as far I know. I like him a lot because he is just a lighter me without the beard and he is also a friendly likable guy. He is also a masterful public speaker and could be our likely nominee for Governor when our present governor ends her term in 2010.

Maybe I should issue a personal challenge to JDC to join me in the battle of the bulge since he needs a lifestyle change as much as I do to give him another competitive edge. We always know whoever the Republican candidate is, they are likely to outspend the Democrat, so our side needs all the help we can get.

Going into a Governor's race with a handicap is not wise and the one thing about Cherry that I do know, is that he is as smart as hell. In fact, I would be surprised if he isn't already dieting. I wonder if he would be offended if I asked him about that. Maybe the next time I see him I could say something like, "Hey John, you look like you have lost weight. What kind of diet have you been on?" Actually he does look like he has lost some weight, but for the most part, Democrats I know don't discuss weight with me and I don't wonder why.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

If you think for a moment that fat people can't get elected, I have one word for you: Engler.

1:58 AM  
Blogger John B. said...

I didn't say fat folks can't get elected. I just said it was a handicap that needed to be overcome. Fit people have an easier time of it even though an outrageous percentage of Americans are overweight.

I am not an Engler expert. Don't claim to be. But if I am not mistaken he was chubby when elected and got fat after he had been in office for a while.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home