Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Republican No More

I was raised Republican. I was taught that Republicans were the fiscally responsible politicians. I was taught that Republicans were the politicians who were strict Constitutionalists and interested in protecting the rights of the individual. I was taught that Republicans were the only politicians who were truly interested in a strong national defense. I was taught that Republicans had our best interests at heart in any number of issues.

As I grew up I questioned some of what I saw, but was determined to work for change within the party. I even served on the Michigan Log Cabin Republicans Executive Board (the LGBT Republican caucus). However as time marched on I had a feeling I was sold a bad bill of goods. More lies became apparent. More promises were broken. Christian Conservatives, who started their takeover of the party in the 1980's continued to push people like me to the margins. Through George H.W. Bush's administration moderates in the Republican party took fewer and fewer seats at the so called "big tent" of the National Republican Committee. In George W. Bush's administration moderates were given even smaller roles - more lies were told - more promises were broken.

Then along came McCain and Palin. They want the public to leave their families alone, but they want to dictate what defines other families and what reproductive rights remain legal.

McCain and Palin want to continue the agenda of Christian Conservatives to make judicial appointments that will continue to erode the constitutional rights of millions of LGBT Americans simply on the basis of our sexual orientation.

McCain and Palin want to continue our current disastrous path in the Middle East with little to no regard to listening to other countries.

McCain and Palin want to continue the tried-and-failed "trickle-down economics" by giving tax breaks to only the wealthiest citizens and biggest businesses.

McCain and Palin want to continue to erode the middle class by expanding "free" trade agreements.

McCain and Palin wants the American public to think that they stand for change. In reality they want to continue to sell the American public a false bill of goods.

Several years ago I felt myself being pushed out the Republican Party. They don't have to push any longer. I've left it.

I won't say that I agree with everything that is in the National and State Democratic Platforms. I never said that about the Republican Platforms. However when comparing the documents to one another - and more importantly the actions of each party, I have come to the conclusion that I belong in the Democratic Party.

So last month I tore up my Republican National Committee membership and sent it back to the RNC with a note acknowledging that by their actions I determined that I wasn't welcome there and didn't belong.

I welcome my involvement in the Democratic party and more importantly I have been welcomed into the Democratic Party. I look forward to working toward change that will not only positively impact our country but will move to restore our once-stellar reputation among our allies throughout the world and demonstrate to the world that we're not the bullies that the Bush Administration has made us out to be.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JT Caldwell said...

Welcome to the party, WillW. I hope we see more posts from you.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

This is such a great post, my favorite part is ~

Then along came McCain and Palin. They want the public to leave their families alone, but they want to dictate what defines other families and what reproductive rights remain legal.

Such a great point you made!

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home